Tuesday, September 3, 2013

"Does Great Literature Make Us Better?"

Here is the link to Gregory Currie's article, "Does Great Literature Make Us Better?" What do you make of this article? What kind of conclusions (if any) does Currie come to? How does this article speak to Annie Murphy Paul's article "Your Brain on Fiction" ?

If you have time, it is very interesting to read the comments at the end of articles in The New York Times--sometimes they are as insightful as (or more insightful than) the article itself.  Here are a few comments I really enjoyed:

"I'm twenty- one years of age, and major in literature at university. I liken the questions Professor Currie poses to the course assessments handed to students at the conclusion of each semester. I dread these handouts, and like my peers, seldom take them seriously. Pencil in hand, I struggle to fit the breadth and nuance of the semester into the tidy, bureaucratic grading bubbles:
'On a scale of 1 to 10, how much have you learned in this course?'

I hesitate to answer these questions, because they seem so contrary to the ideas at the heart of literary discourse. In the classroom we are taught to do “re” work—rethink, reconsider, reweigh, retrace—essentially, go back to the beginning and start all over again. Do I think any differently about temptations of the flesh now that I have read Faust? Probably not. Am I more equipped to resist material pleasures in my own life? No. I am as confused and conflicted as ever before.
'So, did you learn anything at all then this semester?' my father will ask confusedly, as I eagerly summarzie the semester.

If he had given me a bubble sheet, quite frankly, I would have answered “no.” Because that bubble sheet’s conception of learning, as measured by numbers, statistics—quantitative, inert objective tools of measurement—cannot adequately capture the visceral, pulsating, exhilarating feeling of being alive, as great writers so oft capture."

And another great one:

"This is a fascinating question, and I'm glad that it's getting consideration in the Times. But you're asking one question here and answering another. You ask "Does reading (generally) make us better people?" and then answer "Does reading create more empathy by acquainting us with situations we haven't experienced?" Of course, reading (generally) does make us better people even if it's only to give us a language to talk about things we hadn't known about before. But literature itself has been working on the latter question for hundreds of years. I understand this is a philosophy column, but I immediately don't expect to hear very new and interesting things from someone who is talking about a field outside of his own. Martha Nussbaum's "Love's Knowledge" is hardly the exemplar of this particular inquiry, considering that it's out of date, is more about Nussbaum's frustrations with the limits of her own field, and a discussion of how much she loves books rather than their ethical merits. It's hardly an example of a rigorous literary study. It might be influential, but it's cited more often as something to argue against rather than as support for a new argument. Other ethical criticism (Booth, George Levine, Altieri, Hale, J. Hillis Miller, etc.) would be much better places to start. Better to think about literature on its own terms (rather than psychology's), especially when you're asking a question that novels themselves still haven't worked out. "

15 comments:

  1. What are some ways literature might advance/affect our actions and thoughts?






    Paige James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literature make a person critically think about what they have read. It helps one be more educated and helps aid our actions by thinking twice before we do anything. Also it helps us question what we read instead of agreeing with the author and what ever is thrown at our faces.

      -Kasandra Hernandez

      Delete
  2. Why did the author, Gregory Currie, pick this title for the article?

    -Kasandra Hernandez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe he chose this title because he talks about people who believe certain things without evidence. Also, people may continue to hold on to their opinions even after seeing evidence.

      Joseph S

      Delete
  3. Do you believe what you read makes you who you are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Lauren Webb's post sorry forgot to put my name.

      Delete
    2. I believe that reading literature helps expand your vocabulary. What you read can shape your perspective on life and those around you.



      Cassidey Balser

      Delete
    3. I don't think that what you read makes you who you are. For me personally, I don't read a book and think, "Oh I want to be just like that. Or I need to change my life to be more like so and so." I think it does improve what you know. You gain more knowledge about different things in life with the variety of books that you read such as, how people in different countries live or what other people have to go through and experience in their lives that we many not. I think it is good to read to be diverse and not be so narrow minded.

      Isabella Nickerson

      Delete
    4. I think in someways reading can influence us. I don't think however, that reading can change us as a person. It may change some options we have, but not our character. I do believe though, that reading can open our minds to new experiences.

      Marissa Winter

      Delete
    5. I think that what people read can give them a wider perspective on different subjects, open their eyes to new opinions and help influence choices, but I don't think that what people read can make them who they are.

      Allyson Brough

      Delete
  4. I think this article is trying to say that literature could possibly desensitize us and our moral objective.
    Similarly to "Your brain on fiction" reading literature can make you more empathetic, what if you're only reading negative or sadistic type literature? The term, "You are what you eat" could be applied to the way you read. I think that you'll begin to adopt traits from the things that you expose yourself to, including literature.

    Alex Rasmussen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also believe that the article is saying that the ideals and gathering of information are similar but they are approached in a different way..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know he repeats himself a lot. About how there is no evidence, but do you think Currie would agree that literature morally improves us?

    Marissa Winter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I personally am not a huge fan of reading and if I do read, I like to read fiction books. I don't really think that great literature makes us better.

    Don't you think it is based on how we are raised and what we learn? If not, why so?

    Alexis Smith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that is is really interesting that Currie states "we dont really know, very often, what sorts of people we are." and this is so true! maybe we can compare ourselves to others, but even with that, we dont really know who exactly we are or if a piece of literature has made us better. personally i think that literature is good for you and informational,but i dont think that is makes you a "better person."

    Hayden C.

    ReplyDelete